Feb 21, 2017

ARC Review: I See You by Clare Mackintosh


Title: I See You
Author: Clare Mackintosh
Genre: Crime Fiction, Mystery
Release Date: February 21, 2017
Publisher:  Clare Mackintosh
Every morning and evening, Zoe Walker takes the same route to the train station, waits at a certain place on the platform, finds her favorite spot in the car, never suspecting that someone is watching her... It all starts with a classified ad. During her commute home one night, while glancing through her local paper, Zoe sees her own face staring back at her; a grainy photo along with a phone number and a listing for a website called FindTheOne.com. Other women begin appearing in the same ad, a different one every day, and Zoe realizes they've become the victims of increasingly violent crimes--including murder. With the help of a determined cop, she uncovers the ad's twisted purpose...A discovery that turns her paranoia into full-blown panic. Zoe is sure that someone close to her has set her up as the next target. And now that man on the train--the one smiling at Zoe from across the car--could be more than just a friendly stranger. He could be someone who has deliberately chosen her and is ready to make his next move...




I See You was a thrilling, addictive, psychological novel that will make you look over your shoulder multiple times. 

I See You tells of Zoe Walker, who like many of us, have a normal routine during our every day lives. While on her evening commute, she discovers a photo of herself being used as an ad for a website called, FindtheOne.com. Although she has her doubts, Zoe's family reassures her the photo in the paper isn't her. However, every day new photos of multiple women are appearing in the same ad, and she soon realizes that they've been victims of crime, some including rape and murder. Now more than ever, Zoe is on high alert, everywhere she goes, she can't help but fear for her life. Is it just a coincidence or is the man sitting across from her, watching and waiting, going to make her the next victim?

This novel is told between two characters, Zoe Walker, and PC Kelly Swift, who is investigating the case. The author even adds in the occasional short one page chapter from our stalker/killer. I See You is the first book I've read from this author and I'm disappointed in myself for not picking up her previous book sooner! I absolutely loved Clare's writing; I devoured every single word on the pages of this book. Her writing is downright addictive and I loved how she was able to craft and develop her characters throughout the book, giving each of them a voice and story of their own. Some readers, like myself, might find the first half of the book to be slow with the lack of action, but as the book progressed, it started to steadily build up.

With our first main character, Zoe Walker, I did find her to be rather boring in the first hundred pages or so. She was at most times, a negative person and it turned me off from her character sometimes. But don't get me wrong, she definitely redeemed herself later in the book! With our other main character, PC Kelly Swift, I enjoyed reading about her. She reminded me a lot of the Olivia Benson, the leading character in the TV show, Law and Order: SVU and I was rooting for her! With our stalker/killer, Clare seriously knows how to write those chapters where you feel the hairs on your arm rising, that's for sure!

I See You was a thrilling and addictive psychological novel that will make you look over your shoulder multiple times. I wholeheartedly enjoyed this book, even though at times it had it's downs, but I can confidently say that this is a five star read for me. I See You is the perfect reminder that everyone needs to be aware of your surroundings and to stay alert; because it can always happen to you...

*Recommended for fans of The Girl on the Train, Behind Closed Doors, Eeeny Meeny & The Couple Next Door












No comments :

Post a Comment

Hi! Thank you so much for taking the time to stop by my blog and leave a comment! I always love reading your opinions so don't be shy! Stay Stylish & Bookish!