Oct 18, 2016

| Release Day Review | A Study in Scarlet Women by Sherry Thomas


Title: A Study in Scarlet Women
Author: Sherry Thomas
Genre: Mystery, Historical Fiction, Retelling
Release Date: October 18th, 2016
Publisher:  Berkley
With her inquisitive mind, Charlotte Holmes has never felt comfortable with the demureness expected of the fairer sex in upper class society. But even she never thought that she would become a social pariah, an outcast fending for herself on the mean streets of London. When the city is struck by a trio of unexpected deaths and suspicion falls on her sister and her father, Charlotte is desperate to find the true culprits and clear the family name. She’ll have help from friends new and old—a kind-hearted widow, a police inspector, and a man who has long loved her. But in the end, it will be up to Charlotte, under the assumed name Sherlock Holmes, to challenge society’s expectations and match wits against an unseen mastermind.



The perfect Sherlock Holmes retelling with a great heroine and a fantastic mystery that will leave you on the edge of your seat!


A Study in Scarlet Women tells Charlotte Holmes, who has never felt comfortable with the demureness expected of the fairer sex in upper class society. But even she never thought that she would become a social pariah, an outcast fending for herself on the mean streets of London. When the city is struck by a trio of unexpected deaths and suspicion falls on her sister and her father, Charlotte is desperate to find the true culprits and clear the family name. 

It seems that I am never disappointed with books published by Berkley! Thomas' new release was such a well-written, intriguing novel and I ended up finishing it in a day - it was that good! I love the idea of a Sherlock Holmes retelling, especially when our main character is a woman. I mean come on, how cool is that?

Charlotte was a great character - she's smart, she almost never misses a thing and she's kick ass. Basically the perfect heroine! Charlotte, AKA, Sherlock, is a wonderful, smart character and throughout the book I was in awe of her. The book is in third person so we get to see from three POV's, but I really enjoyed reading from Charlotte's the most. Although there were some things that I struggled to enjoy such as the romance and the ending, I'm really excited to see what the next book holds.

If you love retellings and mysteries, I  highly recommend picking this one up! The perfect Sherlock Holmes retelling with a great heroine and a fantastic mystery that will leave you on the edge of your seat!














1 comment :

  1. I have had my eye on this book for awhile, I love the BBC Sherlock and I love the idea of Sherlock retelling where Sherlock is a woman. Glad to read that you enjoyed it and it has helped me to consider boosting it up my to-buy list!

    Deborah @ Hills of Books

    ReplyDelete

Hi! Thank you so much for taking the time to stop by my blog and leave a comment! I always love reading your opinions so don't be shy! Stay Stylish & Bookish!