Aug 7, 2016

| ARC Review | Swear on this Life by Renee Carlino - Pinky Swear?


Title: Swear on This Life
Author: Renee Carlino
Genre: Romance, New Adult, Contemporary
Release Date: August 9th, 2016
Publisher:  Atria Books
When a bestselling debut novel from mysterious author J.Colby becomes the literary event of the year, Emiline reads it reluctantly. As an adjunct writing instructor at UC San Diego with her own stalled literary career and a bumpy long-term relationship, Emiline isn’t thrilled to celebrate the accomplishments of a young and gifted writer. Yet from the very first page, Emiline is entranced by the story of Emerson and Jackson, two childhood best friends who fall in love and dream of a better life beyond the long dirt road that winds through their impoverished town in rural Ohio. That’s because the novel is patterned on Emiline’s own dark and desperate childhood, which means that “J. Colby” must be Jase: the best friend and first love she hasn’t seen in over a decade. Far from being flattered that he wrote the novel from her perspective, Emiline is furious that he co-opted her painful past and took some dramatic creative liberties with the ending. The only way she can put her mind at ease is to find and confront “J. Colby,” but is she prepared to learn the truth behind the fiction?



SWEAR ON THIS LIFE is a unique and touching story about about heartbreak, loss and second chances. It's the type of story that will grip you from the first page, break your heart, and piece it all back together at the same time.

Swear on This Life tells of Emiline, a young struggling writer who wants nothing more than for her work to get out there and seen. After a long day, her best friend lends her a copy of the new bestselling book that everyone seems to be raving about and Emiline reluctantly gives it a read, but the second she starts it, she knows her whole world has just been flipped upside down. The story tells of Emerson and Jackson, two best friends since childhood who fall in love and go through life's hardships. As it turns out, the hit novel is about Emiline's past childhood and that the author is actually her former childhood friend, Jase who she hasn't seen in almost 10 years.

"There was once a boy and a girl..."

As I've never read Carlino's previous works before, I was both excited and nervous to see how this one would turn out. But once I got into the first few pages of the book, I was hooked! Carlino did such a wonderful job in writing in both past and present and I can't applaud her enough for it! I've never read a book like this and I loved it because it was such a unique way to tell someone's story and the author executed it perfectly. 

With our characters Emiline and Jase, they are both unique and flawed characters. Although I loved Emiline, at times she was a bit hard to connect with at first. I felt like she lashed out at people unnecessarily, especially at Jase. However, as I continued reading and I got to see her past childhood, I understood why she acted the way she did and I ended up really liking her once I got to know her story better. With Jase, there's no denying that I loved him. Just like Emiline, he as well went through a rough childhood and I sympathized with him so hard it left me choked up sometimes. Jase and Emiline, although flawed, you just can't help but love them. They had a beautiful connection and even with the years that passed between them, it never broke. The love they had for each other made my heart go crazy and I'm positive I will be re-reading this book time and time again.

"We can't always control our circumstances, who our parents are, where we live, or how much money we make, but in those rare moments when we can shape our fate, when we do have the power to make our own happiness, we can't be scared to do it."

SWEAR ON THIS LIFE is a unique and touching story about about heartbreak, loss and second chances. It's the type of story that will grip you from the first page, break your heart, and piece it all back together at the same time. Carlino writes the perfect second chance romance and I can't recommend this book enough - go pick up your copy tomorrow!

 "I guess it’s like reading a good book. The kind where you don’t want to skip pages to see what happens at the end. Each moment is a story in itself.”



What are your thoughts on this book? Will you be picking it up? Have you read Carlino's previous works? Let me know down in the comments below!


Stay Bookish,




No comments :

Post a Comment

Hi! Thank you so much for taking the time to stop by my blog and leave a comment! I always love reading your opinions so don't be shy! Stay Stylish & Bookish!