| ARC Review | The Woman in Cabin 10 by Ruth Ware - Things Are About to Get Murky


Title: The Woman in Cabin 10
Author: Ruth Ware
Genre: Fiction, Thriller, Mystery
Release Date: July 19th, 2016
Publisher:  Gallery Books
In this tightly wound, enthralling story reminiscent of Agatha Christie’s works, Lo Blacklock, a journalist who writes for a travel magazine, has just been given the assignment of a lifetime: a week on a luxury cruise with only a handful of cabins. The sky is clear, the waters calm, and the veneered, select guests jovial as the exclusive cruise ship, the Aurora, begins her voyage in the picturesque North Sea. At first, Lo’s stay is nothing but pleasant: the cabins are plush, the dinner parties are sparkling, and the guests are elegant. But as the week wears on, frigid winds whip the deck, gray skies fall, and Lo witnesses what she can only describe as a dark and terrifying nightmare: a woman being thrown overboard. The problem? All passengers remain accounted for—and so, the ship sails on as if nothing has happened, despite Lo’s desperate attempts to convey that something (or someone) has gone terribly, terribly wrong…





Ruth Ware’s utterly gripping and unique novel keeps you off balance in the most perfect way. Told in the POV of an unreliable character, this story will make you want to ignore everyone until you've reached the very last page!


The Woman in Cabin 10 tells of Lo Blacklock, a travel journalist who receives an offer she simply can't turn down: the chance to go on board and cover a luxury cruise liner called the Aurora that will venture through the fjords of Norway. 

Wanting to escape everything, such as her recent apartment burglary and the troubles of her relationship, Lo jumps at the chance to join the cruise and take a much needed vacation. Unfortunately though, Lo doesn't get that relaxing work vacation she so desperately wanted. Instead, she's horrified to have witnessed a terrifying scene from her cabin balcony. On Lo's first night on board the Aurora, a woman is pushed overboard and Lo was the only witness of it. To make matters worse, all of the passengers are accounted for. Was Lo just imagining things or did she actually see a woman in the cabin next to hers and was there really a murder on board the ship?

Addicting. Thrilling. Suspenseful. Twisted. Those are just some of the things that come to mind if asked how I would describe Ruth Ware's latest novel. As a lover of thriller and mystery novels, I couldn't help but be intrigued by this book. A murder on a small cruise liner, miles and miles away from civilization and everyone on board is immediately a suspect? Sign. Me. Up! What made the book even more suspenseful was how Lo was the only witness to the murder. No one saw or heard anything of the woman that Lo claims to have been in Cabin 10, the same cabin that was said to be vacant by the ship's crew and captain himself. Ware's writing style was excellent, with it's exact details of each scene, creating the perfect mysterious atmosphere that I was so desperately looking for as I sat down to read.

Although there were many aspects of the book that I truly enjoyed, I had a few issues with the MC. One of them being how she didn't really think things through sometimes. Not only that, but I also didn't like that she lashed out at people, which was uncalled for most of the time. Those were just some minor things that rubbed me the wrong way, but I carried on with the book and boy, am I glad I did!

The suspense was built in a slow, agonizing way and then BAM! It hit me like a freight train and I am still reeling from it! Page after page, plot twist after plot twist, it never stopped and for the next fifteen minutes, my eyes were glued to the book. The direction of the story shifted yet again and we got another plot twist, one that left me on the edge of my seat, waiting to see what would happen next. Long story short, this author knows how to hook a reader in and keep them there till the very end!

THE WOMAN IN CABIN 10 was a book that I simply couldn't put down. From the perfect murder scenario, the suspense that lurked at every corner, to the shocking plot twists and reveal, Ware's latest novel is a must-read for the summer! For fans of Clare Mackintosh, Karin Slaughter, and M.J. Arlidge, Ware's latest release should definitely be on your reading radar!


Are you a fan of mystery/thriller books? If so, what are some of your favorites? Will you be picking this title up? Let me know down in the comments below!


Stay Stylish & Bookish,

4 comments

  1. Great review. I’ve seen a lot of people talking about this book on Goodreads, but I had no idea what it was about until I came to your blog. I’ll keep it in mind for when I’m in the mood for a thriller. I love books with unreliable narrators.

    Aj @ Read All The Things!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, lovely! Oh, then you'll definitely love this one! I've only read a few books with unreliable characters that I really liked, and this one was on the list! Thank you for reading and you'll have to let me know your thoughts on it if you decide to pick it up! <3

      Delete
  2. I've seen this book around and thought it looked good. Glad to hear you liked it (despite a few things). I may have to pick it up. I LOVE a good thriller! Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does, doesn't it? I love both the US cover and the UK. I'm tempted to just get both. ;) You'll have to tell me your thoughts on it if you do pick it up! :) Thanks so much for reading!

      Delete

Thanks so much for stopping by!

Latest Instagrams