Promo Post: Threats of Sky and Sea by Jennifer Ellision - Excerpt + A Sea of Colors in Sassy & Classy Outfit!

Title: Threats of Sky and Sea
Author: Jennifer Ellision
Genre: Young Adult, Fantasy, Romance
Release Date: May 20th, 2014
Publisher: Self-Published
Sixteen year-old Breena Perdit has spent her life as a barmaid, innocent to her father’s past and happily free from the Elemental gifts that would condemn her to a life in the Egrian King’s army. Until the day that three Elemental soldiers recognize her father as a traitor to the throne and Bree’s father is thrown in jail—along with the secrets from his last mission as the King’s assassin. Secrets that could help the King win a war. Secrets he refuses to share. Desperate to escape before the King’s capricious whims prove her and her father’s downfall, Bree bargains with him: information for their lives. It’s a good trade. And she has faith she’ll get them both out of the King’s grasp with time. But that was before the discovery that she’s the weapon the King’s been waiting for in his war. Now, time is running out. To save her father’s life and understand her own, Bree must unravel the knot of her father’s past before the King takes his life– and uses her to bring a nation to its knees.



“Da.” I rap sharply on his door. Light taps won’t do anything to rouse him; Da sleeps like   the   dead   sometimes.  A brief   shuffling   issues   from   inside   the   room   before   he’s blinking into the unexpected light of my candle.

“The inn had better be burning down,” he says, rubbing wakefulness into his brown eyes.

That’s not completely out of the question. I think fleetingly of the two Torchers I’ve left downstairs with a Rider who could fan the flames. Striving for nonchalance, I say,“Maybe it is, maybe it isn’t. I need you downstairs for a moment.”

He grumbles but pulls his quilt from his pallet without further protests, winding itaround his body like a caterpillar in a cocoon to follow me. 

“Got a squad of Elementals here that say they’re on the trail of a truant,” I explain as we descend. “Figured you could put in an appearance and we’ll both get back to bed quick enough once they realize whoever they’re looking for isn’t here.” He stops dead on the second floor landing. I hold my candle higher. Maybe it’s just the flickering light, but I would swear I’ve never seen that look on his face before. He’s clutching his quilt tighter. His fists are clenched around the edge.

“What—” he croaks and clears his throat. “What exactly did you tell them?”A tremor of anxiety runs through me, sending my weariness fleeing. Why does he look worried? 

“That it’s ridiculous,” I say slowly. “It is, isn’t it?” Comprehension dawns over Da’s features. Dread hooks into my stomach with clawed talons. He doesn’t respond but sets his quilt down on the landing and thumps down the stairs, shoulders squared. He’s walking with a grim resignation. Like a man on his way to his own execution. 

A chill steals over me. “Da?” I fly down the steps behind him, heart pounding, wings suddenly at my feet.He’s already taking the last few steps into the tavern when I catch up with him. I take a worried look at the Elementals. Tregle looks to be practically asleep on his feet and Baunnid slides a tankard back and forth across the counter between his hands with a bored look on his face. 

Katerine turns when we bang into the room. A slow predatory smile slides across her face, revealing gleaming white teeth that could rip skin from bone. “Hello, Ardie,” she purrs.That’s Da’s name. I look back and forth between the two of them as fear tears into me anew. It suddenly feels as if the ground beneath me has vanished and my stomach is plummeting as I fall. Da nods once, stiffly, and raises his chin.

“Hello, Kat.”



As I sat down to work on the outfit for this post, I was extremely excited. I took a few minutes to study the cover and it's design, trying to find some ideas and inspiration for when I started on the outfit itself. There were many things I could go with for the outfit--jeans and a blouse, shorts, skirts and even dresses. But seeing as though the model on the cover was wearing a dress herself, I thought it would be best to go that route as well.  

It didn't take long for me to find the perfect dress to match with the cover and the second I saw the one pictured above, I knew there couldn't be another one that would fit as perfect as that one! Now, even though there is a huge amount of blue in the cover, I didn't want the outfit to be focused on just that color. Blue and white almost always go perfectly together, so I decided to add a few white accessories into the mix. The shoes and purse definitely add a nice touch to the outfit and they really stand out from the dark blue. A huge bonus that I noticed about the purse was that it also has small areas where the color gold is, which also went and matched with the flower earrings. Yes...I totally fangirled when I noticed that!  

With the beauty products such as the nail polish and lipstick, I didn't want to go to crazy with either of them. The dress already is such a bold color, and I wanted to go easier and lighter with everything else. With an outfit like this, a nude or light pink lipstick would definitely work well, but it depends on whichever you'd like best! 

Jennifer Ellision was born and raised in South Florida and lives in perpetual fear of temperatures below 60F. She spent a great deal of her childhood staying up past her bedtime with a book and a flashlight. When she couldn't find the stories she wanted to read, she started writing them. She has an OTP, loves character analysis, and is a master of the fangirl flail, with a particular soft spot for fanfiction. She frequently bursts into song (and they are often of a Disney persuasion). Sailor Moon is one of her favorite things on this planet. .

She also blogs at The Bevy Bibliotheque, where she talks about books, TV, movies, and other things that she goes fangirl over.
CONNECT WITH JENNIFER ELLISION!

   | Website | Twitter | Facebook | Instagram | Goodreads |






So there you have it! Doesn't that excerpt sound intriguing? What were your thoughts on it? Also, what did you think of the outfit? Let me know in the comments below! 




Happy reading!

1 comment

  1. I have to admit, I am falling in love with your fashion sense. If I could I would want a stylist like you as I can never decide what to wear and terrible at fashion *hides*. I love the dress :D

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by!

Latest Instagrams