Aug 10, 2015

| Review | My Secret Rockstar Boyfriend by Eleanor Wood

Happy Monday!


Today has already started off great because I just got some bookmail! The crazy part? I literally have no where to put it without it looking like a complete mess! Now it's time to re-organize my shelf yet again and hope there is space for these books. *crossing fingers and toes*

I'm also starting the week by catching up on some reviews. I've got a few done and just need to finish a few more and I will finally be caught up, thankfully! I think it'll be a great start to the week if I post a review now, wouldn't it? Don't be shy in leaving your thoughts in this comments about this one!




Title: My Secret Rockstar Boyfriend
Author: Eleanor Wood
Genre: Young Adult, Romance, Contemporary
Release Date: June 4th, 2015
Publisher: Macmillan Children's Books

MY RATING: 2 STARS
Geeky girl meets famous boy . . . what could go wrong? Tuesday Cooper is happy being normal -doing her a-levels and indulging in her twin obsessions: buying weird vintage clothes in charity shops and writing her beloved music blog (which nobody ever reads). Her love for music started when she was thirteen and had a massive crush on Jackson Griffith, teen rock god and SUPER HOT LOVE OF HER LIFE. Now Tuesday's eighteen and has moved on to fancying boys in real life and Jackson went off the celebrity radar years ago. So it can't be him that's messaging her on her blog, can it? From one girl's computer to the pyramid stage at Glastonbury Festival, this is a love story for anyone who has ever wished that someone would sing a love song just for them. Dreams can come true . . .

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/23592201-my-secret-rockstar-boyfriend?ac=1



Diving into the book we come across our main character, eighteen year old Tuesday Cooper. Basically her whole life revolves around her music blog, her odd obsession with old vintage clothing, and wanting to pass her A-levels. 

Other than spending time on her blog, Tuesday also spends her time with her boyfriend Seymour, her friend Nishi and Nishi's girlfriend, Anna. One day, she comes across a comment on one of her blog post's that isn't from someone she knows, and she soon realizes that it is from Jackson Griffith, the hot rock star that she admired when she was thirteen years old. 

Sparks start to fly between them, and even though Tuesday knows it's wrong, she can't help but feel attracted to this broken guy. Will she be able to change him, or will things end up being repetitive...? 

Unfortunately, there is nothing worse than reading one of your most anticipated books of this year and being disappointed with it afterwards. When you look at the title and read the synopsis of this book, you automatically think it's going to be a fun, romantic, quirky one. But I am sorry to report that I found this book did not stand up to my expectations.

I enjoyed the author's writing style and I found it entertaining for the most part. However, it dragged quite a lot throughout the entire book, and I would sometimes put it down just because I couldn't bring myself to want to read it. One thing that I disliked from this book was how sometimes, the author would be repetitive with how the main character was feeling. She would go on to write about her feeling one thing in one chapter, and then in the next chapter, she would describe the exact same thing for the next page and a half and that not only agitated me, but it also turned me off from enjoying this book. 

With the characters, it was unfortunately, yet again, a disappointment. Our main character Tuesday, who is nicknamed 'Chew', I had no connection toward whatsoever. I liked that she had her own unique style about her, but that was the only thing I enjoyed because throughout the rest of the book, she was a clueless, naive girl and to be frank, she kind of ticked me off. 




The way she acted and talked is what got me so frustrated about her. Not only did she act like a thirteen year old girl when she's actually eighteen, but she let her so called "loved ones" walk all over her like trash. Half of the time, I just wanted to smack some sense into her and to tell her to stand up for herself, because real friends don't treat you like crap, and obviously her friends weren't real ones because they were rude, selfish and didn't care about Tuesday's feelings or her opinion.

With our love interest, Jackson, I found him to be worse than Tuesday. We have a twenty three year old hot pop star, and we find out at the age of eighteen, life has been pretty bad for him. Married a gorgeous model, ended up getting divorced, went into rehab and then stayed out of the spot light for some time.

Now, I'm not judging him for what's happened in his past, but I figured out pretty quickly that I didn't like him. For his age, I found him to be very immature not only in the way he talks, but also acts and that was obviously not a good thing for me. One minute he would say something to Tuesday and she'd be get all emotional in a happy way, and the next he would either ignore her or tell her to go away.

Close to the end of the book, it was the last straw for me when he was found drinking in the morning and pretty much ignoring Tuesday. The only thing that I liked about that part was that Tuesday walked away from him. Did I nod my head in agreement and sigh in relief? You bet your sweet butt I did.


Now, even though the title says "Rockstar Boyfriend" I found that there was zero romance in this book. Even with her current boyfriend Seymour, (which by the way, they don't even like dating each other and just go out to make themselves cooler), there was nothing of romance. With Jackson, they don't really know each other and all they do is hang out, but as friends. Sure, they have a good time and all at the end of the book, but that was pretty much it. So it's safe to say that the title and synopsis of this book is completely misleading, and you will not find any romance in this book, unfortunately. 

Although this book wasn't for me, that doesn't mean one of you guys won't end up liking it! If you guys decide to pick it up and give it a try, and end up liking it, that's awesome! Let me know your thoughts in the comments below your thoughts and if you've read this one or if you'll be brave enough to pick up your own copy!


* I'd like to say thank you to the publicist Naomi over at Macmillan. I am so grateful that you sent me a copy for review (was so surprised to learn that it was coming from London!) so a huge thank you for doing that! This is no way effected my review. *



Happy reading!

3 comments :

  1. I can totally understand why this didn't live up to expectations--the blurb screams funny and romantic, but from the sound of it, that couldn't be further from the truth! Great and thoughtful review :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Replies
    1. I found the book deeply frustrating. Everyone was horrible except for Anna . Nishi was awful, Seymour was vile, the mum was thoughtless and self absorbed and never did they apologise. Tuesday just excused their cruelty and let them continue. There was no moral. No respect. Jackson was an awful self centred brat. This was not romantic!! Plus Tuesday clearly has an eating disorder. She laughs everything off yet eats out of control and says she's fine. This isn't even addressed.
      The author seems sweet and cool, but her author's note was more loveable than the actual book.
      💕💕💕💕💕💕💕

      Delete

Hi! Thank you so much for taking the time to stop by my blog and leave a comment! I always love reading your opinions so don't be shy! Stay Stylish & Bookish!