Aug 3, 2015

| ARC Review | Rome in Love by Anita Hughes

Happy Tuesday!

Wow, yesterday was definitely awesome! I got an awesome pile of book mail that I can't wait to show in my August wrap up for booktube! It's not even the end of August yet and I'm already talking about doing a haul! Awesome, right?

I also realized that I might need a bigger shelf because I had to completely change out my desk/bookshelves just so the new books could fit. The life of a book blogger. But I'm definitely not complaining! ;)

Another thing also happened this week...I wrote a freaking review! I am FINALLY out of my slump and I had a lot to say for this book. So, continue scrolling to read my review and please don't be shy in leaving your thoughts in the comments below! :)




Title: Rome in Love
Author: Anita Hughes
Genre: Adult Fiction, Contemporary, Chick-Lit
Release Date: August 4th, 2015
Publisher:  St. Martin's Griffin
RATING: 2.5 STARS!
ADD TO GOODREADS
When Amelia Tate is cast to play the Audrey Hepburn role in a remake of Roman Holiday, she feels as if all her dreams have come true. She has a handsome boyfriend, is portraying her idol in a major motion picture, and gets to live in beautiful Rome for the next two months. Once there, she befriends a young woman named Sophie with whom she begins to explore the city. Together, they discover all the amazing riches that Rome has to offer. But when Amelia’s boyfriend breaks up with her over her acting career, her perfect world begins to crumble. While moping in her hotel suite, Amelia discovers a stack of letters written by Audrey Hepburn that start to put her own life into perspective. Then, she meets Philip, a handsome journalist who is under the impression that she is a hotel maid, and it appears as if things are finally looking up. The problem is she can never find the right time to tell Philip her true identity. Not to mention that Philip has a few secrets of his own. Can Amelia finally have both the career and love that she’s always wanted, or will she be forced to choose again?
"Rome in Love was unfortunately not the book for me, but hopefully someone else will enjoy it even more!" 

When I was given the opportunity to read this book, I couldn't pass it up. I needed a book to get me out of my reading slump and I was in the mood for a fun, romantic read. As fun as it was to read the adventure that our main character Amelia was going through, there were some parts that just didn't sweep me into the story as I was hoping for.

Diving into the book, we meet Amelia Tate, an upcoming actress that will be starring as Audrey Hepburn in the remake of Roman Holiday. Not long after arriving in Rome, she meets a young woman named Sophie and Amelia soon realizes that she is hiding a secret that the press would go crazy over if they found out. Unfortunately, everything comes crashing down for Amelia as her boyfriend of four years breaks up with her when he realizes that she won't choose him over her acting career. 

Soon after, Amelia not only finds old letters written by the famous Audrey Hepburn, but she meets the handsome journalist, Philip. Not wanting to tell him who she really is, she pretends to be a hotel maid and things go well for some time. What she doesn't realize is that Philip is also keeping a few things from her, that might just end up hurting the both of them. Will Amelia be able to not only have love, but the career she has always wanted, or will this turn out to be a disaster in paradise for the both of them?

I feel like I'm kind of having bad luck in finding the 'right' book for me. Rome in Love was an enjoyable read, but there were some flaws in it that bothered me, unfortunately. When reading a book, I always want to be shown the story, not told it. So when I noticed that the author was telling me the story and not showing, it bored me because I read it exactly how it looked: in a monotone voice, and of course, that turned me off from enjoying this book. The author lacked description not only in what the characters were doing and saying, but also in the sceneries that I know would be beautiful in person. Although the writing wasn't the best, it was fun to see Rome through Amelia's eyes. 

With our main character Amelia, I am in a mix of liking and disliking her. There were definitely a lot of things that bothered me when reading about her. The first thing I noticed was the lack of emotion. It was lacking so much that I sometimes had to close the book and try to picture what I would do in her situation. Not only did the lack of emotion bother me, but so did her actions. One minute she’s enjoying her time her Philip and even flirting with him, and  the next she is giving some sort of excuse to leave. And she’s always shown up at his apartment, not knowing how she got there! Needless to say, I liked her, but she isn’t on my favorite character list. 

With our male protagonist, I did enjoy reading about him more than I did with Amelia. Even though he also lacked character development and description, I enjoyed reading the story through his perspective. With the romance, I did feel like it was very fast paced and not a lot of development as well. I just didn't feel a connection with them, and instead felt like it was forced and it happened way too fast. 

Overall, it was an okay read, but it wasn't my cup of tea. It makes me really sad that I didn't like this book because I had such high hopes for it. 

Nonetheless, if you guys decide to pick it up and give it a read, I hope you enjoy it more than I did! Let me know your thoughts in the comments below because I'd love to know what you guys think! 

*A huge thank you to Staci over at St. Martin's Griffin for sending me a copy for review. This is no way, affected my review. *



Happy reading! 

2 comments :

  1. Ugh, indecisive females. I hate push and pull romances--always leaves me cranky, lol. Sorry this book didn't do it for you, chica, but wonderful review, otherwise! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. We pretty much agreed on everything! I liked where the story was going, but there were soo many flaws that kept me from truly loving it. I liked Phillip, but he was very one-dimensional, as was Amelia. Besides the talk of food, the best thing in my opinion was Audrey's letters, but even that had a flaw! How do you write a letter as a story? lol. Blah, I know someone will have a better experience than we did.

    ReplyDelete

Hi! Thank you so much for taking the time to stop by my blog and leave a comment! I always love reading your opinions so don't be shy! Stay Stylish & Bookish!