May 31, 2015

| Review | Loop by Karen Akins

Happy Sunday!


I just hit over 250 followers on my Instagram account! WOOHOO! I am so happy and overwhelmed that so many people like to see my pictures and want to follow me. So thank you everyone that followed me. I hope to have some pretty pictures up in the next few days so definitely look out for those! :)

Since today is just for the family to relax, I decided to write up some reviews and plan a few other blog posts for the following week. I'm very excited to review this book and I hope you guys like what I have to say! Feel free to leave your thoughts in the comments below! :)

*A huge thank you to Michelle at St. Martin's Press for sending me a review copy. This in no way affected my review for the book.*


Title: Loop (#Loop 1)
Author: Karen Akins
Genre: Young Adult, Romance, Time-Travel
Release Date: October 21st, 2014
Publisher:  St. Martin's Griffin

MY RATING: 5 AMAZING STARS!
At a school where Quantum Paradox 101 is a required course and history field trips are literal, sixteen year-old time traveler Bree Bennis excels... at screwing up.

After Bree botches a solo midterm to the 21st century by accidentally taking a boy hostage (a teensy snafu), she stands to lose her scholarship. But when Bree sneaks back to talk the kid into keeping his yap shut, she doesn't go back far enough. The boy, Finn, now three years older and hot as a solar flare, is convinced he’s in love with Bree, or rather, a future version of her that doesn't think he’s a complete pain in the arse. To make matters worse, she inadvertently transports him back to the 23rd century with her.

Once home, Bree discovers that a recent rash of accidents at her school are anything but accidental. Someone is attacking time travelers. As Bree and her temporal tag-along uncover seemingly unconnected clues—a broken bracelet, a missing data file, the art heist of the millennium—that lead to the person responsible, she alone has the knowledge to piece the puzzle together. Knowledge only one other person has. Her future self.

But when those closest to her become the next victims, Bree realizes the attacker is willing to do anything to stop her. In the past, present, or future.



"A hilarious and action packed read, this book will have you laughing and turning the page at the same time. LOOP is a definite must read!"

Diving into this book, we find out that Bree goes to a school for Shifters, people who time travel and Transporters, people that help time travelers coordinate their destinations. Her school assignments include time traveling to the past and delivering things to the past, but she, and every other Shifter doesn’t have the ability to change the past. 

But when Bree accidentally kidnaps a boy named Finn, she gets entangled in the past and violates the shifter rules she’s sworn to obey. Nothing is turning out like Bree expected and she is not only endangering herself, but the lives of Finn and her mother.

When I received this book for review, I couldn't help but dance around like a happy person. I'm always a sucker for a good time travel but it's can be hard trying to find the right book, especially if it is sci-fi. But with Loop, it had such a fascinating world, compelling characters and a great romance, all three things that I love in a book!

With most sci-fi novels, they tend to carry such heavy information about time travel or other science fiction aspects, but with this book, I didn't feel that way at all. It was such a light-hearted read, and it was hard for me to put it down. Akins wonderfully combines science fiction and adventure, into a story full of romance, mystery and fun. The entire idea of this book was so well crafted and the aspect of time travel was not at all confusing for me. 

Akins had a way of writing that captured you from the very beginning and would not let you go. From the time traveling elements, to the cool kick ass gadgets, to the scenery, I felt as if I was in the story itself and that was my favorite part about reading this book.The writing was detailed out to the point where you could vividly imagine what was going on, in your head and I applaud the author for that! 

“What don't you have in that pocket?" asked Finn. "Patience.”

With our main protagonist, I loved everything about her. She was feisty, witty and kick ass all in one. I loved how she wouldn't take crap from anyone, but there were times where I felt as if she over reacted to some things, especially when she was with Finn. I felt as if she wouldn't listen to his ideas/theories and just shrug him off as a problem, instead of someone that wanted to help her. I understood how she acted towards him, due to what she was taught and how she was raised, but I wish she hadn't treated him like crap half the time. Other than that little problem, I found her to be such a fun, entertaining read and I think this character is what made the book enjoyable. I'm definitely excited to see how she develops in the second book!

With our hero....my oh my! I swear, half the time I was laughing was because of him. He was so fun and charming, I couldn't get enough of reading about him.  Even though Finn only knows of the future Bree, you can see that he feels the same way about the past Bree. He was such a sweetheart to her, wanting to protect her and make sure she stayed safe, and that made me smile like crazy. Overall, Finn is definitely on my favorite book boyfriends list and I am excited to see him develop in the second book as well! 

“What changed your mind so suddenly?" His expression darkened. "I decided what I was fighting for." "Which is?" "You.”

Not only did I love the time travel aspect, but I also loved the romance. We don't really get to see a lot of romance through out the entire book, but definitely toward the end. I loved the chemistry between Finn and Bree and I am very excited to see what happens to their relationship in the second book! 

Overall, LOOP was a quick, entertaining read and I would highly recommend it to readers that love a fun sci-fi book filled with romance and mystery! 



What do you guys think? Are any of you interested in Sci-Fi books? If so, what is your favorite book in that genre? Will you be picking this one up? Let me know in the comments below what you guys think! 
Happy reading! 

14 comments :

  1. I was anticipating this books so much last year but my mind just passed the book and I completely forgot about it but after reading your review, I will definitely be ordering the book. I have recently become obsessed with Sci-Fi related books and I love a bit of romance so this will be exciting!
    Naomi@The Perks Of Being A Bookworm

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should definitely order it soon! LOOP was such a fun, exciting read and I hope you feel the same way as I did! :)

      Delete
  2. This sounds so amazing! I'm adding it to my TBR list immediately. Plus, I have a thing for time-travel novels :)

    I followed your lovely blog by GFC
    Aeriko @ http://thereadingarmchair.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! Let me know if you end up reading it because I'd love to hear what you think! :)

      Delete
  3. Hi! I was reading your review and I think it is awesome! I just added this book to my to-read list!
    Can uo help me with something please? I have a book blog and would really like to know how to add a "add to goodreads" button! Thank you very much, Ana @ http://addictedbookslover.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so happy you think it's awesome! :) Of course! You just go to where you write up your posts, add the picture of the Goodreads button, and go to your options at the top bar. Make sure you've clicked the picture to where it is blue, and then you press the option "link". Click that, paste in the GR link and then press done. Hope that helped! :)

      Delete
  4. This sounds hilarious! Thanks for the review :)
    This is going on my to read list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for stopping by! :D Yay! Hope you end up liking it! :)

      Delete
  5. OMG this sounds so much fun! She accidentally brings back a guy? Hahaha hilarious! Adding this to my TBR! Wonderful review, Talina!

    Blessie @ Mischievous Reads

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It definitely was fun and hilarious! Hope you pick it up soon because I'd love to hear what you think! Thank you so much, Blessie! :)

      Delete
  6. I can't express how happy I am to read your review. I actually received Loop as an ARC and never read it. I am most definitely going to make the time in my reading schedule to read it soon. Maybe before summer is over.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so happy that you're happy! Ahhh, this makes me REALLY happy! :D I'm also happy that you were able to receive a copy of Loop. You should definitely read it and let me know what you think! :)

      Delete
  7. I've seen this one everywhere, and I still don't know how I feel about it. Like do I want to read it or do I want to skip it?

    I like that it's scifi, but you said it's lighthearted. That makes me think that I'd actually enjoy it because I am so so so picky about scifi.

    Great review, Talina! I'll probably be adding this one to my TBR! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I highly recommend picking it up because it was amazing! I laughed and smiled a lot throughout the book and for me, that's rare! I'm very picky about sfi-fi as well, so I can completely understand why you are nervous about this one. But I really did enjoy it and hopefully you will too! Thank you so much Erin! :)

      Delete

Hi! Thank you so much for taking the time to stop by my blog and leave a comment! I always love reading your opinions so don't be shy! Stay Stylish & Bookish!