May 8, 2015

| Mini Reviews | The Power of Poppy Pendle & The Courage of Cat Campbell by Natasha Lowe

Happy Friday!


Had the most wonderful and tiring day today! My Friday got so much better when the mailman came with seven books! And then the DHL man came with yet another book I wasn't expecting! Talk about being a happy bookworm! 

I'm currently reading Kitty Hawk and the Icelandic Intrigue and oh my god, I am LOVING it! It's full of history from Iceland, the Vikings, volcanoes, everything. I love the plot twists and turns in this story and I'm sure I'll be giving it a five star review next week! What are you guys currently reading this weekend?

Also, if you didn't read my previous blog posts, I started a Twitter account not too long ago! I talk about my blog posts, reviews of mine, book mail, and so many other bookish things. You can follow me HERE. :)

ALSO! I co-moderate Emily Wibberley's Street Team, and we'd love for you to join! You can earn prizes, get exclusive sneak peaks, and talk to to the author herself! What are you waiting for then? Embrace your destiny and sign up TODAY! HERE is the link. 

Now, let's get onto some other good things, shall we? Below are my two reviews for two lovely books that were sent to me by the author. Continue scrolling to read my reviews. :)


Title: The Power of Poppy Pendle
Author: Natasha Lowe
Genre: Middle Grade, Fantasy, Adventure
Release Date: September 2012
Publisher:  Simon & Schuster Books for Young Readers

MY RATING: 5 MAGICAL CUPCAKES!
Poppy Pendle was born on the floor of the Patisserie Marie Claire bakery in the little town of Potts Bottom. When, as an infant, Poppy unexpectedly performs her first bit of magic, her parents, Edith and Roger, know their dream has come true. Their daughter has inherited the family gift.

But as Poppy grows up she isn’t as thrilled about her magical talents. Even though she was born into a long line of witches, has inherited the extraordinary gifts of famed Great-Grandmother Mabel, and is enrolled at the exclusive Ruthersfield Academy, a school for witchcraft, she wants to be a baker instead. Making yummy lemon cakes, buttery almond cookies, chocolate melt-aways, and caramel crunch cookies is Poppy’s passion—and it makes her happy. Poppy Pendle has no choice but to take matters into her own hands. “Whose life is it anyway?” she asks.


"Full of magic, mouth watering treats, and the importance of a true friendship, readers of all ages will enjoy this deliciously cooked up novel!" 

When I received this book in the mail, I was one happy bookworm and dove straight in! Poppy Pendle is a born baker...and not to mention, she was also born in a French bakery. 

She inherits the magic gift from her great grandmother, but Poppy wants nothing to do with it, and instead wants to spend her time baking. Her parents seem to disagree and continue to push her into the magic world until Poppy can no longer handle the pressure and ends up baking a batch of trouble...

In my personal opinion, I think that MG grade books can be for anyone. Kids of course, teens and even adults. For me, I love reading middle grade novels and this one was certainly high up on my list of favorites. 

From the gorgeous cover design, to the simple, yet enjoyable way the author wrote, Natasha Lowe had me loving this book from front to back. The author's writing style had a unique and captivating touch to it, which made it even easier for me to get swept up into the story. 

With our main protagonist, I definitely connected with her in a lot of ways. Not only do I love baking as much as Poppy does, but I could see her personality was a lot like mine and that's why I felt so connected to this character and to the book. 

I definitely found Poppy to be a great character from beginning to end and knew that a lot of other readers would enjoy her as well! The story wrapped up quite nicely and I'm happy it ended in the way that it did.

Overall, The Power of  Poppy Pendle was a delightful read and I would highly recommend it to anyone who loves a good magical read! 


Title: The Courage of Cat Campbell
Author: Natasha Lowe
Genre: Middle Grade, Fantasy, Adventure
Release Date: January 6th, 2015
Publisher:  Simon & Schuster Books for Young Readers

MY RATING: 5 MAGICAL SPIDERS!
Cat Campbell is a late-blooming witch whose magical abilities are bursting to be mastered in this charming coming-of-age story set in the world of The Power of Poppy Pendle.

Cat Campbell has had magical powers since the day she was born, but she didn’t always know that. Cat’s mother believes magic ruins lives, and even as Cat’s passion for magic grows over the years, no one suspects she has the gift. But she has indeed inherited the coveted magic gene of her famed great-great-grandmother Mabel, a discovery she makes in a most surprising way. Cat is a witch!

And when she comes across a book called The Late Bloomer’s Guide to Magic, she finds the encouragement she needs and spells that work. Then the town of Potts Bottom is threatened by a notoriously feared witch, and Cat has the chance to help her family and town—and to prove herself in the process. Because, as The Late Bloomer’s Guide to Magic proclaims, “believing in your magic and yourself is half the battle.” 


“The Courage of Cat Campbell was a cute, magical read that young Harry Potter fans will absolutely ADORE!”

After reading The Power of Poppy Pendle, I was very excited to start on the companion novel about Poppy’s daughter.

In this novel, we get to see Cat Campbell and how she would do anything in the world to inherit the magic gene from her great-great-grandmother Mabel. 

At the age of eleven, she thinks she won’t ever have a shot at being a witch when one day, she sends her worst fear bouncing around the room with her magic. Cat finally inherited the gene, but her mother does not approve. 

Nonetheless, Cat is determined to show her and everyone else how good of a witch she can be and sets on her own adventure of capturing the nastiest witch the world has even seen...

Natasha Lowe yet again succeeds in a creating a world full of magic with twists and turns at every corner.The author’s writing was simple, and straightforward and one of the reasons why I couldn't put it down! 

Just like the first book, I enjoyed reading about Cat Campbell and her desire to become a witch. She was a great character from beginning to end and I knew that she would be a good role model that a lot of girls looked up to, due to her determination to achieve her dream.

Not only did I love reading about Cat, but I also loved the relationship she had with her family and friends, especially with her friend, Peter. I loved seeing their funny and at times sarcastic conversations which had me smiling from ear to ear. 

Overall, The Courage of Cat Campbell was a quick, fun and easy read and I’m sure readers of all ages will enjoy this magical tale! I would highly recommend this book to anyone who is up for a fun, enjoyable read!  Natasha Lowe will surely be on my favorite author lists from now on!



What do you guys think of these two wonderful books? Will you be picking them up or have you already read them? If so, what did you think? Let me know in the comments below! :) 


Happy reading!

4 comments :

  1. These books sound super cute. I gush every time I see thecovers. I just wishI read middle-grade books!:( Haha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are! The covers are even better in person and I can't stop staring at them! :) Aww, you should definitely give these a try. :)

      Delete
  2. I throw in a couple of MG reads every year. These sound beyond good. I love magical element. Thanks for your reviews.
    Suzi Q., The Book Dame

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I love these covers! The books sound so so so good! Adding to my TBR and my 12 year old's TBR. :)

    ReplyDelete

Hi! Thank you so much for taking the time to stop by my blog and leave a comment! I always love reading your opinions so don't be shy! Stay Stylish & Bookish!