| ARC Review | Sweet by Emmy Laybourne

Happy Wednesday!


Seriously, I need new shelves or I might just take the one holding our school books. If you think I'm joking, then you obviously don't know me.*grins and lets out a maniac laugh*

I've been putting off reading for the last couple of days so I can catch up on a few reviews and so far, I'm almost done! I just have to do three more which I will finish tomorrow and then I can start reading again! I have so many books that I want to read, it's going to be a hard pick!

But, you're not here to hear me gushing about my TBR. You're here to read my awesome review for this awesome book, aren't you? Well, just continue scrolling and you can! ;)



Title: Sweet (Book #1)
Author: Emmy Laybourne
Genre: Horror, Romance, Young Adult
Release Date: June 2nd, 2015
Publisher: Macmillan

MY RATING: 4.5 SOLU PACKETS!

People would kill to be thin.

Solu’s luxurious celebrity-filled “Cruise to Lose” is billed as “the biggest cruise since the Titanic,” and if the new diet sweetener works as promised—dropping five percent of a person’s body weight in just days—it really could be the answer to the world’s obesity problem. But Laurel is starting to regret accepting her friend Viv’s invitation. She’s already completely embarrassed herself in front of celebrity host, Tom Forelli (otherwise known as the hottest guy ever!) and she’s too seasick to even try the sweetener. And that’s before Viv and all the other passengers start acting really strange.

But will they die for it, too?

Tom Forelli knows that he should be grateful for this job and the opportunity to shed his childhood “Baby Tom-Tom” image. His publicists have even set up a ‘romance’ with a sexy reality star. But as things on the ship start to get a bit wild, he finds himself drawn to a different girl. And when his celebrity hosting gig turns into an expose on the shocking side effects of Solu, it’s Laurel that he’s determined to save.

Emmy Laybourne, author of the Monument 14 trilogy, takes readers on a dream vacation that goes first comically, then tragically, then horrifyingly, wrong.
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/18657784-sweet?ac=1


"This is the first book I've read from Emmy Laybourne and I am sure it won't be the last! Sweet is a fast paced novel that will leave you wondering what happens next!"


Seeing this come through my mail...it was an unbelievable thing. This book is my first ever ARC and I'm so happy that I got the chance to read and review it. A huge thank you to the lovely author and Macmillan! 

Anyone would kill to be thin, so when scientists discover a way to lose five percent of your body fat in just a matter of days, the world has gone into an excited frenzy. Laurel has been invited by her best friend Viv to go on the cruise, but being sea sick for the first few days, she decides not to take the Solu. But even after she's better, she witnessed something quite strange and decides to stay away from it altogether.

Tom Forelli has always been known as the chubby, Baby-Tom-Tom on the hit show The Magnificent Andersons. Now a teenager and hotter than ever, he wants to shed his Baby-Tom-Tom image and what better way to do that than to host the cruise of a lifetime Solo Cruise on television?

Things don't go as planned as a horrific frenzy stars aboard the ship, and Laurel and Tom must find a way to get out of there before it's too late...

When I started this book, I dove in with high hopes. The first fifty pages or so was a bit hard for me to digest due to the author's writing style and it worried me that I wouldn't end up liking the book because I loved the originality behind the story and I wanted to see how it would all turn out.

In the POV of Laurel, Laybourne's writing was at times very short, choppy and sometimes lacked description. The author used unnecessary parentheses in a way to form thoughts in Laurel’s head and that unfortunately took me out of the story a little bit. But as I got deeper into the book, I noticed that the writing improved and I instantly got hooked. In the last 100 pages or so, that was when the real suspense started happening and I couldn't put this book down, definitely not even for sleep! Nonetheless, if the author happens to write a second book in this serious, you can definitely count me in! 

In this book, we get to read in two different POV’s. I loved being able to get into both the heads of Laurel and Tom. I enjoyed reading about both characters, but especially Tom. I was instantly drawn to him and I loved reading his chapters. I definitely did see a difference between their POV's however. Tom's POV was very descriptive and it flowed smoothly, however with Laurel, I felt that it was short and choppy, which is why I connected more with Tom.

Even with how I felt about the writing, I loved Laurel and how she was such a refreshing character. My favorite things about her was how we got to see her happy with herself. She didn't want to change her body just because someone thought that she should. She was happy with herself and that is so refreshing to see in a YA novel and I applaud the author for that! 

With our hero, I couldn't stop smiling every time I read his POV! Lighthearted and a big sweetheart, Tom Forelli is everything you want in a book boyfriend. Sweet, caring, smart and handsome! His character definitely hooked me and kept me interested throughout the entire book.

The chemistry/romance was also very refreshing. In a lot of YA books, we see this insta-love between the characters, but in this book, I didn't see that. I saw two characters that had such a great chemistry that you didn't want to look away.

Overall, this book is definitely a great summer read. It’s full of cute romance, and suspense that will literally keep you on your toes! I would highly recommend this book if you are wanting to try something new and fun this summer!




What do you guys think?  Do you like the uniqueness of the plot? Will you be picking it up? Let me know in the comments below what you think! 


Happy reading!


2 comments

  1. I have this one (two copies somehow), but I just can't bring myself to read it. I already feel so offended by what's in the synopsis.

    But I'm glad you liked it. Maybe I'll pick it up at a later date.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I definitely agree about what you said obout the writing. I've read her Monument 14 books and her writing was choppy at first, but then it definitely improved. I'm really excited to read this one! It sounds unique. I'm glad yoy enjoyed it, I'll definitely be picking this up soon! Great review! :)

    ~Cari @ My Addiction: Books

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by!

Latest Instagrams