Apr 12, 2015

| Review | The Wide Awake Princess by E.D. Baker

Happy Sunday!

My day has been pretty good so far. Had some delicious pancakes, watched a movie with my siblings and spent about two hours writing up this review! 

At the moment, I don't want to start reading anything until I've finished up writing at least two more reviews for this coming week. I'm hoping to do a fun little blog post this week, so don't miss out on that! ;)

But for now, please enjoy my review for this wonderful retelling of Sleeping Beauty!




Title: The Wide-Awake Princess
Author: E.D. Baker
Genre: Middle Grade, Fantasy, Romance
Release Date: May 11th, 2010
Publisher: Bloomsburry
ADD TO GOODREADS 
MY RATING: 5 MAGICAL STARS
In this new stand-alone fairy tale, Princess Annie is the younger sister to Gwen, the princess destined to be Sleeping Beauty. When Gwennie pricks her finger and the whole castle falls asleep, only Annie is awake, and only Annie—blessed (or cursed?) with being impervious to magic—can venture out beyond the rose-covered hedge for help. She must find Gwen's true love to kiss her awake. But who is her true love? The irritating Digby? The happy-go-lucky Prince Andreas, who is holding a contest to find his bride? The conniving Clarence, whose sinister motives couldn't possibly spell true love? Joined by one of her father's guards, Liam, who happened to be out of the castle when the sleeping spell struck, Annie travels through a fairy tale land populated with characters both familiar and new as she tries to fix her sister and her family . . . and perhaps even find a true love of her own.

Cute, charming and full of humor, The Wide-Awake Princess will keep a smile on your face and make you wish you were a princess!




I completely did not expect this book to show up at my doorstep, but boy oh boy, when it did, I was super excited! First off, let's talk about the cover. I absolutely love the color of the font and the font itself. So pretty! I also love how the entire cover portrays the story and how you can easily guess what the book is about just by looking at the cover. Now, don't even get me started on how the back looks... the minion says it all!

A Wide Awake Princess is a retelling of the wonderful, classical story of Sleeping Beauty. In this retelling, the heroine is not Princess Gwendolyn (AKA Sleeping Beauty), but her younger sister Princess Annie, who was born without magic and can repel it: good or bad.

On Gwendolyn's 16th birthday, she pricks her finger on a spinning wheel and the entire castle is sent to sleep. Now it is up to Annie to try to find a way to break the evil curse and set everyone free.

I was so engrossed in this story that it only took me a day and a half to finish it! The writing style was elegant and straightforward, which I found to be a good thing, especially since this book is directed toward a younger audience. I also loved how the author managed to weave in other fairy tales into this book such as Rapunzel, Hansel & Gretel, Princess and the Pea and so much more.

When I came across the scene of a slightly intoxicated Prince Digby at the pub, and how he brought a barmaid down onto his knee, I was a bit surprised at that, to be honest. But then I thought about Beauty and the Beast and how Digby kind of resembled Gaston, in a way and I think that was what the author was wanting to accomplish. Most people would find that scene improper for a middle grade kid, but I didn't find it explicit or something that would be deemed wrong or inappropriate.

With our heroine, I definitely found her to be a great character from beginning to end and knew that she would be a good role model that a lot of girls looked up to. Even without having magic like most of the characters, I found her to be kind, very intelligent, she had a good sense of humor, and she was willing to do anything to protect the people she cared about and I think that was the best aspect about this character.I'm definitely excited to read about her next adventure and see how she develops in the second book!

From the very first pages, we get to meet Annie's love interest, Liam. This character had me smiling from time to time with his sarcastic comebacks or just the funny things he says. 

I've read so many books that usually have a handsome, breathtaking and oh so good looking male lead, but Liam is not that character. The author put flaws into his features, but his personality made me forget about those flaws and I think other readers like myself, will love reading about Liam. 

Even though the secret he was hiding was obvious, I still found him to an admirable, smart, and witty character and I am excited to read about him in the next book! 

Nonetheless, E.D Baker truly surprised me with this book and I am excited read Annie's next adventure! I would HIGHLY recommend picking this up, whether you are a kid or an adult, because you will not be disappointed with this lovely Sleeping Beauty retelling! 





What do you guys think? Will you be picking this one up or have you already read it? Also, what is your favorite fairytale? Let me know in the comments below! :)

Happy reading!


2 comments :

  1. Oh! I might have to pick this one up. It seems like a quick and cute read.

    Great review, Talina!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you do, I hope you like it as much as I did! :) Thank you so much!

      Delete

Hi! Thank you so much for taking the time to stop by my blog and leave a comment! I always love reading your opinions so don't be shy! Stay Stylish & Bookish!