Apr 15, 2015

|Review | Sacrificed by Emily Wibberley

Happy Wednesday!


Today is Wednesday. I have to have a new feature on my blog by Friday. I am on a deadline and I am going to go crazy if I miss it! *twitches*

In other news, I'm on Instagram if you haven't heard yet! It's a book based account where I talk about all of my favorite books, do bookish tags and talk about what I'm currently reading. You can view it HERE if you'd like! :)



  
Title: Sacrificed (The Last Oracle #1)
Author: Emily Wibberley
Genre: Young Adult, Fantasy, Romance
Release Date: February 13th, 2015
Publisher: Paranoid Productions

MY RATING: 5 MINDBLOWING STARS!
Knowing the future can save her city – but not her heart.

Born to serve the merciless Oracle, Clio wants nothing more than to break free. But when her entire family is murdered by Mannix, the king's adviser, Clio inherits the Oracle’s power, a power she never wanted and doesn't understand.

Hunted by Mannix, Clio is forced to flee her home in Sheehan and seek refuge in a foreign city where oracles are forbidden. If she's found out, she will be sacrificed atop its great pyramid.

Clio has no choice but to win the trust of Riece, an enemy warrior. Despite the undeniable attraction between them, Clio knows that if he finds out who she really is, he won't hesitate to execute her.

Clio tries to hide her budding powers, but the Visions she keeps having of Mannix and his barbarian army slaughtering her people torture her conscience. She alone has the strength and foresight to stop him, but only if she can embrace her destiny and sacrifice everything.
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/23795267-sacrificed?ac=1

This debut novel will captivate you from the very beginning and make you beg for more at the end! Full of mystery, adventure and a steamy romance, this book will definitely get you out of your reading slump!


The minute I received this book, I was exactly like the minions above. Excited as all hell! This book had mystery, romance, suspense and adventure... everything I love in a book, so I of course finished this it in a short amount of time!

Clio is skeptical and doesn't believe in the calling and apparent Fate of her mother and sisters. She lives in the city of Sheehan, a city with its own King and laws. These laws will no longer mean anything if the King dies and when the Empire takes over, so will a world in which Oracles are feared and executed.

Everything changes for Clio when she gets a vision of her family being murdered by Mannix, the king's adviser. Sneaking into the city of Morek to save her sister Ali, she comes across Riece; a strong, handsome warrior that has an interest in Clio.

Now the Oracle, she must do everything in her power to stop Mannix's plans and try to save her city. But will she be too late?

"Wait," she called before he took his leave. "You saved my life. Can I at least know your name?" He turned back, barely looking at her over his shoulder. "My name is Riece, but you should stick to calling me 'Sir'."

(Literally me when I read that line!)

Occasionally, it's hard to find a good fantasy book that has a fascinating world, compelling characters and a good romance, but I actually found it! 

In a shorter version: I LOVED THIS BOOK! I devoured it in two days and after that, I wanted more. It killed me when I realized the second book isn't out yet and it still does! 

The author did a wonderful way of captivating me from the very first page till the last. She put such exquisite detail into her writing and described certain situations so perfectly that I felt as if I was swept up into the story and apart of her characters! 

The story is definitely fast paced, but the author knows when to add some flare and twists to the story, and there are some plot twists that leave you wondering what will happen next!

With the characters, I definitely connected with all of them. My favorite would obviously have to be Clio; a feisty, strong, well-written and believable female protagonist that I couldn't get enough of. I also enjoyed seeing the relationship between her and her family...I just couldn't tear my eyes away nor did I want to! 

At times there were moments where I would find her to be naive or just doing repetitious things, and it annoyed me slightly because of how it dragged on in the first couple of pages. But as I read deeper into the book, I grew a great fondness toward her and I'm definitely excited to see how she develops in the second book! 

The romance in this story was also another aspect I loved. Even though I'm not a huge fan of love triangles, I loved this one! The connection between Riece and Clio was actually believable and that's why I loved it. 

Most YA books would push the romance very quickly into the book, but the author took her time with this one and I applaud her for that. (But if I were Clio, I would seriously forget Derik and go for Riece! ;) )

"And couldn't stay away ever since." She clasped her hands together over her heart in mock sentiment. He flashed her a grin. "Now, let's not get too carried away."



Do you know that moment where you're just reading a book, and then you come across a character and you just gasp, hug the book tight to your chest and squeal with delight? Yeah, that was me when I met Riece and I am not embarrassed!  

Riece was a witty, humorous, handsome and oh-so amazing character! I seriously can not tell you that enough. I loved his humor, his intelligence and the way he easily cared for Clio and the girls that were going to be sacrificed...I loved everything about him and I am VERY excited to see him in the second book! 

Overall, Emily Wibberley has created an amazing fantasy world full of romance, suspense and mystery, and I am excited to read what she has in store for the next book! I would highly recommend this to anyone who loves a good fantasy read!



So what do you guys think? Will you be picking this one up? What do you think of the cover? Gorgeous or not to your liking? Let me know in the comments below! :)


Happy reading!


11 comments :

  1. Definitely picking this one up! Great review~

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't wait to hear what you think of it! :) Thank you so much!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll definitely have to check this one out. You've sold me. On a different note, that stock image for the creepy hooded person is really popular right now. I've seen it used on several different covers in the past year.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'll definitely have to check this one out. You've sold me. On a different note, that stock image for the creepy hooded person is really popular right now. I've seen it used on several different covers in the past year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! ;D I bet it is! It's really pretty and eye catching. What other covers has it been used on?

      Delete
    2. Facade by RM Webb has the same or very similar cover stock art. Maybe it is just the hood thing is popular right now.

      Delete
    3. Facade is also a pretty cover! Love how they changed it up a bit. :) Yeah, I think the hood cover art is a bit popular right now too.

      Delete
  5. Hello! What a nice blog. I love finding other book blogs. :) I am Lishia from goodreads. I left on message for you on "Blogger Lift," but I decided to just leave it here too. I followed your blog and would love a follow back! My blog is myrainydayreads15.blogspot.com
    Happy blogging,

    Alisha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Alisha! Thank you so much for visiting and for following! I just gave you a follow. :) Happy reading!

      Delete
  6. Okay, I need to read this soon. I have this book for review but haven't started reading yet. When I read your review, I just got so excited about it! It sounds like a perfect fit for my reading tastes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes you do! It was such an amazing book and I am SURE you will love it! :) If you end up reading it, let me know because I would love to hear what you think! :)

      Delete

Hi! Thank you so much for taking the time to stop by my blog and leave a comment! I always love reading your opinions so don't be shy! Stay Stylish & Bookish!