Mar 12, 2015

| Review | Kitty Hawk and the Curse of the Yukon Gold by Iain Reading

Happy Thursday!


Tomorrow's the weekend! I have so many things to do tomorrow it's not even a joke! This week has been full of studying for my last exams, martial arts and workout, and finishing up a few books!

This week I also had the chance to make an Instagram account! It'll mostly be about books and maybe even some of the dishes that I can whip up in the kitchen. You can check my account out HERE. Feel free to follow me! ;)

Also, don't forget to enter two of my on-going giveaways! Enter to win a signed paperback of Embers by Karen Ann Hopkins HERE. Enter to a win my paperback copy of The Secret Diamond Sisters HERE.



Title: Kitty Hawk and the Curse of the Yukon Gold
Author: Iain Reading
Genre: Young Adult, Adventure, Mystery
Release Date: December 2012
Publisher:  Self-Published

MY RATING: 4.5 STARS!
Kitty Hawk and the Curse of the Yukon Gold is the thrilling first installment in a new series of adventure mystery stories that are one part travel, one part history and five parts adventure. This first book of the Kitty Hawk Flying Detective Agency Series introduces Kitty Hawk, an intrepid teenage pilot with her own De Havilland Beaver seaplane and a nose for mystery and intrigue. A cross between Amelia Earhart, Nancy Drew and Pippi Longstocking, Kitty is a quirky young heroine with boundless curiosity and a knack for getting herself into all kinds of precarious situations.

After leaving her home in the western Canadian fishing village of Tofino to spend the summer in Alaska studying humpback whales Kitty finds herself caught up in an unforgettable adventure involving stolen gold, devious criminals, ghostly shipwrecks, and bone-chilling curses.

Kitty's adventure begins with the lingering mystery of a sunken ship called the Clara Nevada and as the plot continues to unfold this spirited story will have armchair explorers and amateur detectives alike anxiously following every twist and turn as they are swept along through the history of the Klondike Gold Rush to a suspenseful final climatic chase across the rugged terrain of Canada's Yukon, the harsh land made famous in the stories and poems of such writers as Jack London, Robert Service and Pierre Berton. It is a riveting tale that brings to glorious life the landscape and history of Alaska's inside passage and Canada's Yukon, as Kitty is caught up in an epic mystery set against the backdrop of the scenery of the Klondike Gold Rush.


All I can say is..wow! This book is the first I've read from young adult author Iain Reading and it will not be the last! After five minutes of squealing and dancing around when this book came in the mail, I dove right into it!

The main character is a teenage girl named Kitty Hawk. Fresh out of high school and wanting an adventure, Kitty decides she wants to spend her summer studying humpback whales in Alaska. But...she ended up getting more than she bargained for! 

My favorite thing about this book would definitely have to be the information the author put into it. For me, history is something I love and for the author to get into so much detail about the Klondike Gold Rush, about the Clara Nevada and so much more, I was captivated. 

I realized not everyone liked that this book contained chunks of information, but the series is targeted at young readers, and most of them probably don't know about this kind of information, so for me, it's refreshing to see this in a young adult novel. 

I was also captivated by the author's details in his writing style. I could easily picture everything in my head and it felt as if I was there in the cockpit of the plane with Kitty herself! There were, however, some cases where I found things to be repetitive or a few typos along the way, but all books have that, so it didn't bother me. 

Kitty Hawk is quite different from a lot of character's I've read recently, and I enjoyed reading about her. Even though she's only a teenager, Kitty definitely doesn't act like it. Her attitude towards everything, the way she presented herself, everything about her is what every girl should want to be. Kitty Hawk is a mix of kick-ass, smart, adventurous, and a great sense of humor.

There were times when I would laugh out loud at what was happening in the story, times where I would ask myself if Kitty was a bit crazy, and times where I just smiled out of happiness. Kitty Hawk is now one of my favorite young adult characters and I'm excited to see how she develops in the next book.

About ninety pages in, we get introduced to four new characters. Charlie, Buck, Jay and Will. Let's just say all four of these characters had me cracking up almost all the time and I'm hoping to see them in Kitty's next adventure!

Coming to the ending of the book, it left me completely speechless! I had not expected that plot twist and I applaud the author at how well he managed to surprise the readers. 

Overall, Iain Reading definitely captivated me in this book and I'm looking forward to reading Kitty's next adventure! I would absolutely recommend this book to anyone who is interested in a novel filled with adventure, mystery and surprising plot twists! 

I received this book from the author and the publisher, but in no way did it change my opinion of this book.



What do you guys think? Will you be picking this one up or have you already read it? Let me know in the comments below!

Happy reading!



7 comments :

  1. I also reviewed this book, last year, and LOVED it! I highly recommend picking up the rest of the series because I think they get better as they go! :) Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I saw your review quote on the back of the book and I was so happy for you! I'm so glad you liked it. :) The author has sent me book two and three of the series so I'm very excited to get into it! :)

      Delete
  2. Yay! I'm happy to read your review because I will probably start reading this book tomorrow! (: The history sounds super interesting!

    Pearl @ AsteriskPearl's Book Blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh, you'll have to tell me what you think about it! I hope you enjoy reading it! :)

      Delete
  3. Oh! I've seen this one on Goodreads, but I wasn't sure that it was for me. It looks like it might be a good book to read on a weekend away though.

    Great review, Talina!

    Erin @ The Hardcover Lover

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you pick it up some time soon! I'd love to hear your thoughts on it! :) Thank you so much, Erin! :)

      Delete
  4. cheap nike roshe run shoes I feel disgrace face. cheap nike roshe run shoes The other is just a boy, and cheap already grabbed cheap  actually also nike roshe run australia dare to cheap nike roshe run shoes himself. Just reach out to prepare to fight back, nike roshe run shoes her shirt, the woman suddenly nike roshe run sale feels cheap big hand touch on his ches.

    ReplyDelete

Hi! Thank you so much for taking the time to stop by my blog and leave a comment! I always love reading your opinions so don't be shy! Stay Stylish & Bookish!