Jan 18, 2015

| ARC Review | Bridges Burned (Going Down in Flames #2) by Chris Cannon!

Happy Sunday!


First off..today's been a mother freaking great day. Since my dad has some great ideas, and I was in need of one, I asked him if he had any ideas on how to make my area more bookish (he didn't understand what bookish meant and asked my Mom to translate!) for a future plan of mine. 

I literally have The. Best. Dad. Ever. We spent a few hours creating two homemade bookshelves and it looks AWESOME! It's suits as a bookend and two bookshelves; in the middle and on the top.

I also went and bought tons of books on Amazon and I'm pretty sure my dad would have a heart attack to see how much I spent! Yes..I have a problem. But, I've come to terms with it and quite frankly, I'm fine with it :)

I've recently finished the book Bridges Burned, an ARC I received from the publisher. (Thank you!) Continue scrolling for my review!




Title: Bridges Burned
Author: Chris Cannon
Genre: Young Adult, Romance, Paranormal
Release Date: January 19th, 2015
Publisher:  Entangled Teen

RATING: 4 FLAMING STARS!
Don't just fight the system…burn it.

Since discovering she is a shape-shifting, fire-breathing dragon on her sixteenth birthday (surprise!), Bryn McKenna’s world has been thrown into chaos. Being a “crossbreed”—part Red dragon and part Blue—means Bryn will never fit in. Not with dragon society. Not with the archaic and controlling Directorate. And definitely not when she has striped hair and a not-so-popular affection for rule-breaking…

But sneaking around with her secret boyfriend, Zavien, gets a whole lot harder when he’s betrothed to someone else. Someone who isn't a mixed breed and totally forbidden. And for an added complication, it turns out Bryn’s former archnemesis Jaxon Westgate isn’t quite the evil asshat she thought. Now she’s caught between her desire to fit in and a need to set things on fire. Literally.

Because if Bryn can’t adapt to the status quo…well, then maybe it’s time for her to change it.


Bridges Burned will do nothing but make you turn the page and laugh out loud! I was excited to see that I got an e-mail from the publisher offering this for review, and seeing as I loved the first one, I couldn't pass it down! 

Chris Cannon's writing is beautiful in a way where you can picture everything in your head and never forget. The writing flowed at a quick pace, which was enjoyable for me. The characters were likeable, but not my favorite. 

Bryn, the main character, was interesting to read about. She still had her sarcastic funk and witty humor with her, which would cause me to laugh out loud a few times. But, the only thing not likeable about her was how she reacted to things. I was slightly shocked that the author didn't put more emotion into Bryn when finding out about the deaths of a few characters. In my opinion, I don't believe that the characters are truly dead. I don't know if it's me hoping, but I feel like it would be that way.

When Bryn would become angry or frustrated at someone, the only thought she had through her mind was, "throw a fireball at your head" which kind of annoyed me because it was repitious. Even though some of the things she did annoyed me, she did have her good moments and I enjoyed reading about her.

When it comes to Zavien, who is Bryn's love interst, all I have to say is...wow. Where did the guy that would bring Bryn cake and care for her when she needed him? In this book, Zavien was a complete ass! I don't even understand why Bryn would want to take him back, or even care for him after he treated her. I also don't understand how she thinks everything will be perfect between the two when Zavien is someone else's bethrothed. Zavien was a character I completely disliked, but I'm hoping in the third book we can get some answers! 

Even though Jaxon's character isn't a main one, he is seen more in this book than the first. After the threat of Alec, a dragon who wanted to kill Bryn, Jaxon, and his mother in the first book, he and Bryn are tolerating each other a lot more in this sequel. It was nice to see a definite change in their relationship, but to also see that touch of sarcastic, funny, bitterness toward each other.

Overall, Bridges Burned is a funny, quick read and I would recommend it to anyone who is up for witty humor and some dragon flare! 


What about you guys? Have you read the first book? If not, will you? What about this one? Let me know in the comments below. I'd love to hear your thoughts! 


Happy reading!


No comments :

Post a Comment

Hi! Thank you so much for taking the time to stop by my blog and leave a comment! I always love reading your opinions so don't be shy! Stay Stylish & Bookish!