Nov 27, 2014

Darker Days by Jus Accardo |Review|

Happy Thursday!


Today has been such a great day. Relaxed for half of it, and then I got to cooking with  the family. Everyone is just relaxing now, even the cat with his stomach filled with turkey!


I've been dying to write this review for awhile and it's finally here! So sit back and enjoy!


Title: Darker Days 
Author: Jus Accardo
Genre: Young Adult, Paranormal, Romance
Release Date: August 19th, 2013
Publisher:  Entangled Publishing
My Rating: 3.5 stars
Jessie Darker goes to high school during the day, but at night she helps with the family investigation business. Cheating husbands and stolen inheritances? They’re your girls—but their specialty is a bit darker. Zombie in your garage? Pesky Poltergeist living in your pool? They’ll have the problem solved in a magical minute. For a nominal fee, of course...

When gorgeous new client, Lukas Scott, saunters into the office requesting their help to find a stolen box, it sounds like a simple case—until the truth comes out. The box is full of Sin.

Seven deadly ones, in fact.

They’ve got five days to recapture the Sins before they're recalled by the box, taking seven hijacked human bodies with them. Easy peasy—except for one thing...

There’s a spell that will allow the Sins to remain free, causing chaos forever. When the key ingredient threatens the life of someone she knows, Jessie must make the ultimate choice between love and family—or lose everything.






I had started reading this in the month of August, but, it hadn't grabbed my attention as I had hoped.

At first, it was interesting and some of it made me giggle a few times. But then as I started to get deeper into the book, I had to put it down for some time. The way the author created her characters, it made me cringe.

The plot was evenly-paced and I enjoyed that, but it was the main character, Jessie, that really got on my nerves. Garret wasn't my favorite either. It felt as if the author Googled on how teenagers talked in 21st century!

Darker Days was a quick, easy read, but I don't think it will be on my list for a re-read.



Jessie: For me, I love characters that are witty, and sarcastic. At first, I liked Jessie. I thought she could be that witty and sarcastic character for me. But after a chapter or two, she really started to agitate me.

She slut shamed everyone, she cussed like it was her job and she was judgmental. It felt as if the author was trying to make her seem funny or cool, but instead, it came off as a huge fail.



Sometimes she made me laugh, but with the rest of the book, the way she interacted with other people, especially Lukas, it annoyed me. She would break her mother's rules, and she would cause damage to a lot of things and not even give two cents.

The romance between Jessie and Lukas.. it just wasn't there for me. I've read a lot of YA books with insta-love, but this one, it slightly annoyed me.

Even though I could see the connection there, I just couldn't bring myself to be all mushy when they said they loved each other. How can you be in love with someone in a matter of days?

Let's just say, I hope the second book makes me feel all mushy and gooey!

Lukas: I found Lukas to be a more interesting character than Jessie. He was sweet, gentle and he made me smile whenever he was around.

Although, he did remind me of Edward from Twilight.. but that doesn't matter! He was hella cute and I liked him!


Valefar: Even though Valefar wasn't a major character in this book, I still have to mention him! HOT DAMN, if he's the King of Hell, I want a ticket to go straight down there! Lord, have mercy he was hot! His blue eyes and blonde hair..I could just picture him... *sigh* All the hormones...


Alright, now that that is out of way.. though the main character was slightly annoying, this book was alright. I'm currently reading the second book and hopefully I can have some positive things to say!


Happy reading!



2 comments :

  1. Amazing review :) I just found your blog. I hadn't heard of this book before so thanks for sharing =) Keep in touch x

    Benish | Feminist Reflections

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! :) If you end up reading it, I hope you like it more than I did! Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete

Hi! Thank you so much for taking the time to stop by my blog and leave a comment! I always love reading your opinions so don't be shy! Stay Stylish & Bookish!