Sep 14, 2014

Twilight by Stephanie Meyer |Review|

Happy Sunday!  I hope everyone's weekend has been good! Everyone is getting ready for Mexican Independence Day down here. Loading up on the beer and heading down to the pool!

This week, I finished reading Twilight, and I couldn't pass up on reviewing it. I read it when I was younger, but I really didn't understand it, so I gave it another read. And surprisingly, I sort of liked it. But there, of course, were things I hated about it.

Keep on reading to find out what they are. ;)





Title: Twilight
Author: Stephanie Meyer
Genre: YA, Paranormal, Romance
Release Date: September 6th, 2006
Publisher: Little, Brown and Company
My Rating:  2 stars
About three things I was absolutely positive:

First, Edward was a vampire.

Second, there was a part of him - and I didn't know how dominant that part might be - that thirsted for my blood.

And third, I was unconditionally and irrevocably in love with him.

When Bella Swan moves to the gloomy town of Forks and meets Edward Cullen, her life takes a thrilling and terrifying turn. With his porcelain skin, golden eyes, mesmerizing voice, and supernatural gifts, Edward is both irresistible and impenetrable. Up until now, he has managed to keep his true identity hidden, but Bella is determined to uncover his dark secret.

What Bella doesn't realize is the closer she gets to him, the more she is putting herself and those around her at risk. And it might be too late to turn back..








Wow. After reading this book, I was left speechless, and it wasn't in a good way. Yes, I'm not going to lie, this plot was a great idea. But how the author wrote it, it was terrible. So many words were re-used, over and over again. Almost every chapter Bella and Edward winced, glared, or balled her hands into fists.

I even had to skip a page or two a few times because of how much it bored me. The main characters were plain. Nothing interesting about them. To me. it seemed just like an ordinary couple and the author just threw in a few vampires and werewolves.

The guy was controlling and creepy, and the girl was blind and obviously stupid.  I wish that the author had put a little bit more thought into this book because it seems like a great idea, but it came out all wrong.


                                                       



Bella: After her mom found love again and moved down to Florida, Bella packed everything up and left to go live with her dad in the small town of Forks, Washington. When she arrives, she isn't a happy camper.

But then, she then meets Edward and her whole life is turned upside down. Edward is the most beautiful thing on the planet. Golden eyes that will always captivate you, a smile that can knock your breathe away, a voice so gentle that it can put you to sleep, and the a pair of beautiful white fangs..




Basically, that is what Bella does. She throws away her entire life just because of one hot little vampire. A vampire that even admitted wanting to kill her the first time he met her! Well isn't she the brightest crayon in the box.. 

I found Bella to be a dull person. She was stupid, irresponsible, and just freaking annoying! In just a few days, she's already fallen in love with the guy! Through the entire book, she just had to describe something about Edward. Which sometimes even took a whole entire paragraph! His beautiful golden eyes, his sexy smile, his icy lips and hands, his perfectly icy toned chest, like god woman, we get it; he's your own Frosty the Snowman, except this one likes to drink blood. 

She was also a "magnet for accidents" as Edward put it. She couldn't even walk on a flat surface without tripping. 

My favorite part was when Bella found out that Edward has been watching her sleep at night. She said she was "flattered"! I laughed so hard and just couldn't stop after I read that part. What kind of normal person finds someone climbing into their window at night and watching them sleep, flattering? She was more concerned for what she said in her sleep than him stalking her! 


I could continue, but I'll save you from that. ;)


Edward: Okay, I have to admit, I actually liked Edward a little bit... but just a TINY bit! I only liked him because he cared for Bella. He would go overboard a lot of times, but he still cared and I thought that was sweet.

What I didn't like, was him being bipolar. One minute he's sweet to Bella, and the next, he's angry or trying to control her and that really, really, annoyed me. 

Other than him stalking her while she sleeps, (also when she goes dress shopping), I found him to be an alright guy. A heck of a lot more interesting than Bella, that's for sure.


Cullens: I loved the Cullen family! Especially Emmett. He just seemed to be a fun, and awesome vampire to be around. I did also enjoy Alice. She was a sweet little thing and I hated it when Bella was rude or unkind to her.


Overall, I didn't like this book, but I didn't hate it either. At the moment, I'm on the third book and I'm almost done with it, so be on the lookout for a review of Eclipse!



Comment below telling me if you've read the book and whether you liked it or not. 


Happy reading!






8 comments :

  1. Haha, man I totally know how you feel! I mean, I had to reread it for uni and for some reason - I just bored to death with it. I was just so blown away by so many terrible things that I overlooked when I first read it as a teenager, and even later on when it was still terrible but at least I could get through it.

    I totally agree with you. Stephenie Meyer had an interesting idea, but the absolutely poor execution of the book just totally killed it for me.

    But hey, at least you didn't entirely want to shred it to pieces like I did, and liked it enough to continue on with the rest of the series. (I mean, I could get into a few chapters of New Moon before I gave that up entirely).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was really surprised other teenagers and even adults liked the book. I couldn't understand why because of how selfish, rude and annoying the heroine was. The author made it seem like a heroine needs to depend on a man and that's what irked me. If she changed things about her character, then maybe I would've liked it more. Do you have the entire series? Or did you not want to waste your money after the first two? I actually skipped reading the second book. I did not want to go through that torture again, haha.

      Delete
  2. Eclipse was the only one that kinda did okay for me. By the way, I nominated you for the Ten Book Challenge! Check it here!

    http://mischievousreads.blogspot.com/2014/09/tenbookchallenge-nominated-by.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What made you not like the others? Ooohhh, that's awesome. Thank you Blessie! :)

      Delete
  3. I just couldn't stop laughing when you said "Well isn't she the brightest crayon in the box.. " The only book I really liked was Breaking Dawn. The others... well the idea was good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad that could make you laugh! What made you like only Breaking Dawn?

      Delete
  4. Hey! I found your blog through goodreads and wanted to come check it out! I'm your newest follower!
    I hope you'll check out my blog sometime :)
    http://jbkantt.blogspot.com/

    I actually chose to read Twilight for summer reading going into my sophomore year of high school (the blurb was the only one that interested me on the reading list). I remember being so bored at parts because Bella would just go on and on about Edward (like ON AND ON). But I liked it enough to read New Moon for summer reading the following year. I never read the last two books because, well, I never had to (I think I had required reading for English from then on), haha.

    J.B. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi there! I'm happy you found me! I hope you like what you see! :) I was also bored at that too. Sometimes I even had to smack myself with the book because of how stupid she sounded. Did you enjoy Breaking Dawn?

      Delete

Hi! Thank you so much for taking the time to stop by my blog and leave a comment! I always love reading your opinions so don't be shy! Stay Stylish & Bookish!