Aug 23, 2014

Sunburn (Fear Street #19) by R.L. Stine |Review|

Happy Saturday! It's finally the weekend for me! Since I have school on Saturday, I'm always excited after 12 o' clock! And what better way to celebrate than review a good, cozy mystery?













Title: Sunburn (Fear Street 19)
Author: R. L. Stine
Genre: YA, Mystery, Horror
Pages: 146
Publisher: Simon & Schuster/Pocket Books
Publication Date: June 1st, 1993
My Rating: 4.5 stars
You could get burned...



The perfect suntan. Soaking up the rays. Fun on the beach. That's what Claudia Walker had in mind when she accepted her friend Marla's invitation to spend the weekend at her cliffside beach house. Little did she know that horrible accidents—fatal accidents— would occur on the beach and in the house.

But Claudia knows they're not "accidents". She's sure somebody is out to get them...out to kill them. The week of "fun in the sun" has turned dark and deadly!









                                                                        


A month and a half ago, I saw this at my library and thought I'd pick it up just to have it. I kept putting it off, thinking that it might be childish or silly. Boy was I WRONG! I started reading it on Thursday and could not put it down! I finished it literally in an hour and a half. The writing was great; it kept drawing me in and made me want to continue to turn the page. I loved the characters, even though they were sometimes dense to what was happening around them. Yes, the plot was a tiny bit cliché, but what mystery/horror book isn't? It was a fun, quick read and I loved it. 



                                                                    



Claudia: Claudia is the main character of the story. One day, she receives a letter from her old camp buddy, Marla, stating that her parents are out of town for the week, so she invites Claudia and her two other old camp buddies Sophie and Joy to her family mansion in Summerhaven. 

Happily, she accepts the invitation and the next day she's off. But once she arrives in Summerhaven, it's not what she expects at all! 

I loved this character. I was completely drawn to her in every page. I felt terrible about what happened to her in the first few pages, but seriously, who falls asleep while being buried under the sand and under the burning sun? 

One of the things that annoyed me was that she was dense to the fact that someone she knew left her out there purposely to drown!  

Overall, I liked Claudia and she was an enjoyable character. 


Sophie & Joy: Both of these girls are best friends with Claudia and Marla and they are also invited to Marla's mansion. Not only is Claudia experiencing stranger accidents, but so are these two girls.

Sophia and Joy weren't always in the book, but I enjoyed them. They were fun, quirky, and would sometimes put a smile on my face.

I could obviously tell what was going to happen and who the killer was, but I still loved the book.  At the end of the book though the murderer is at their feet and Claudia and this mysterious boy Daniel, who is the butler's son are freaking kissing! I laughed my butt off when this happened.


"Did you really believe I was a ghost?" he asked, pulling her nearer. "Maybe," she replied softly. He smiled. "How can I prove that I'm not a ghost?" he asked, his dark eyes lighting up.

Claudia raised her face to his and kissed him. "You pass the test. You're not a ghost," she told him. "Now let's get out of this rain." Walking side by side, they made their way to the house. 


Overall, I loved this book and I would recommend it to anyone who loves a quick, fun, easy read.

I always love reading your guys comments so feel free to leave me one and let me know if you've read any of R.L. Stine's books and if you enjoyed them or not!




Happy reading! 






2 comments :

  1. Love R.L.Stine!! Just found you on Goodreads. New GFC Follower :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you do! After reading this book, I want to read more, but it's hard to find them. :( Thank you for the follow and I hope you enjoy reading what I post! :)

      Delete

Hi! Thank you so much for taking the time to stop by my blog and leave a comment! I always love reading your opinions so don't be shy! Stay Stylish & Bookish!