Aug 6, 2014

Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants by Ann Brashares | Review

Happy Wednesday!

Today has been such a rough day for me. I caght my sister's fever  just yesterday, it starting out as a headache and then cold spots on my body. And now, I feel like a popsicle that's been thrown at wall by a child multiple times. *shivers*  I recently just watched the Sisterhood movie, and I loved it. So, I thought I'd try the book series.

Please enjoy reading about my review on the first book in the Sisterhood series by Ann Brashares!





Title: Sisterhood of the Travelling Pants (Sisterhood #1)
Author: Ann Brashares
Genre: YA, Romance, Contemporary
Pages: 294
Publisher: Delacorte Press
Publication Date: September 11th, 2001
My rating: 2 stars

Carmen got the jeans at a thrift shop. They didn’t look all that great: they were worn, dirty, and speckled with bleach. On the night before she and her friends part for the summer, Carmen decides to toss them.

But Tibby says they’re great. She'd love to have them. Lena and Bridget also think they’re fabulous. Lena decides that they should all try them on. Whoever they fit best will get them. Nobody knows why, but the pants fit everyone perfectly. Even Carmen (who never thinks she looks good in anything) thinks she looks good in the pants. Over a few bags of cheese puffs, they decide to form a sisterhood and take the vow of the Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants . . .  the next morning, they say good-bye.

And then the journey of the pants — and the most memorable summer of their lives — begins.








                                                                        


After starting the first book, I found there was a lot different between the movie and the book. What I love about the movie, did not translate well in the book. I understand the movie will not always be the same as the book, so my review will only be on what I thought about the book itself.

I was quite dissapointed with book one. Going in, I had high hopes for this one but I felt let down. I found all of the characters annoying and frustrating, the plot was cliché, and it just didn't intrigue me at all. Keep reading to find out my thoughts on each character.



                                                                          



Carmen: For the summer, Carmen is visiting her Dad who lives up in South Carolina. She rarely gets to see him, so spending the summer with him is extremely exciting for her. What she doesn't expect to see is a blonde lady with two kids waiting at the house for her.

I really didn't like Carmen's chapters. She had a terrible temper and it annoyed me sometimes. If I were in her situation, sure, I would be pretty ticked off and hurt. But she over reacted on some occasions and sometimes was uncessarly rude to her step family. All of it just felt..well fake. Her stepfamily trying so hard to be nice, and Carmen trying to do the same but just coming off as a biatch. Carmen was an okay character, but she wasn't my favorite.

Tibby: While her three best friend are off to travel the world, Tibby is stuck at home working at Wallmans. She decides to make a suckamentary - a video document of boring people for Tibby to prove how much her summer sucked- On her first day work, she meets this girl Bailey, a twelve year old girl diagnosed with luekemia and it changes her whole summer. 

I didn't hate Tibby's character, nor did I like her. I felt like she was a whiny teenager that just needed to get over herself. She had the whole 'I hate the world attitude' and it frustated me. If you want to do something for the summer, then get a fun job, do something new, take risks, whatever! But she needed to get over herself. 

Bridget: For the summer, Bridget is travelling down to Baja California, Mexico for an all girls soccer camp. When she gets there, her eyes are set on one of the teams coaches, Eric. Immediately, she wants him.

Bridget was impuslive, reckless and just didn't think things through. When all the girls were getting assigned to their teams, Bridget spots Eric, one of the coaches who is a few years older than her. Bridget can't help but want him, so she does everything in her power to get his attention. Let the wind flow through her hair while she's looking at him, follow him to a bar with a few of friends of hers and dance agaisnt him and other things that just came off as annoying. It made me want to reach inside the book, grab her by the shoulders and yell, "What the fluff is wrong with you? PULL YOURSELF TOGETHER!"

She is freaking fifteen years old and he is nineteen. She is a student, and he's the coach. She could care less about him losing his job and her getting kicked out, oh but no, the only thing she cares about is doing the hanky panky with him!

I wanted so bad for Bridget to be at the camp for her love for sports. Not for some random dude she just met. This character was a real big disappoint to me.

Lena: For the summer, Lena is travelling to Greece to visit her grandparents.  Lena is very shy and hates to show off her beauty. Her first few days there her grandmother sets her up with Kostos, a charming  friend of the family. He tries his best to get to know her better, but, Lena is wary,and tries to avoid him as much as possible. Problems occur when an iccident happens between Kosto's and Lena, making things difficult between the two familes.


I found Lena to be very dull. All she did was paint, sketch, or walk around the house and city. She just didn't draw me in. I was hoping the book would be like the movie. I hoped that she would talk to him, go on small adventures with him, and actually fall in love with him the right way. Not ignore him the whole summer, and then tell you love him when you're about to leave. I found that to be so idiotic. How can you fall in love with someone you don't even know?! Like all the other characters, I just wasn't interested.

I'm thankful the movie came out better than the first book. I'm currently reading the second book, and so far it's okay. 

Feel free to leave a comment telling me if you've ever read the series and how much you liked/disliked it. Also, be sure to follow my blog to catch up on my review for the second Sisterhood book! 




Happy reading!







1 comment :



  1. Our firm, Bostick Communications, distributes press releases via e-mail for our clients who are authors.  These releases make reviewers, such as yourself, aware of new books that are available for review.
     
    We would like to add you to that database to receive releases from our clients. 
     
    You will receive two press releases per week on the average. You select the books you wish to review. You have the opportunity to specify certain genres that you are interested in to reduce the number of releases you receive, if you wish.
     
    There is no obligation on your part and you may unsubscribe at any time.
     
    If interested please reply back to us and note the genres you review and the site(s) where you post your reviews.

    Thank you for your time to consider our service.
     
    Best,
    Ken Eason
    Bostick Communications
     
    www.bostickcommunications.com
     
    bostickops@gmail.com
     
     

    ReplyDelete

Hi! Thank you so much for taking the time to stop by my blog and leave a comment! I always love reading your opinions so don't be shy! Stay Stylish & Bookish!