Aug 31, 2014

Second Summer of the Sisterhood by Ann Brashares |Review|

Happy Saturday!


About two weeks ago, I finished reading the second book to the Sisterhood series, and after I finished it, I tried writing my review, but I just couldn't! It was so hard. But finally, I've gotten it! So, please do enjoy!


By the way, who doesn't love a Gilmore Girls? ;)











Title: The Second Summer of the Sisterhood
Author: Ann Brashares
Genre: YA, Chick Lit, Contemporary
Pages: 373
Publisher:  Delacorte Books for Young Readers
Publication Date: April 22nd, 2003
My rating: 2 stars

With a bit of last summer’s sand in the pockets, the Traveling Pants and the sisterhood who wears them—Lena, Tibby, Bridget, and Carmen—embark on their second summer together.

Bridget: Impulsively sets off for Alabama wanting to both confront and avoid her demons...but she can't keep the truth from the Pants.

Carmen: Is concerned that her mother is making a fool of herself over a man. When Carmen discovers that her mom borrowed the Pants to wear on a date, she's certain of it.

Tibby: Makes a movie she'd like to be proud of...while the Pants keep alive the memory of a friend who could see beyond appearances.

Lena: Has spent months hiding from love...only to find that she's at last ready to put on the Pants and let them lead her where they will.





                                                                         


I had hoped this book would change my mind about the series, but, unfortunately, it didn't. I kept putting off finishing this book because of how much it bored me. The characters were the same, annoying, bratty and frustrating. The plot was alright, it intrigued me a little bit more, but to be honest, I actually looked forward to reading about Carmen's mother! She was a lot more interesting than the girls!









                                                                     



Bridget: She finds out that her grandmother has been trying to contact her and her brother Perry her via letters ever since her mother died, but her father has been hiding those letters. Angrily, Bridget decides that she is going to Alabama to see her grandmother.

After her summer in California, Bridget has changed a lot. She dyed her hair brown, gained some weight, stopped playing soccer, and just hasn't been herself.

In my head, I was just thinking, "well, hello, that's the consequences of being careless," But in this book, actually I enjoyed Bridget a lot more. She was trying to find herself, just like all sixteen year old's do.

One of the things I was annoyed with was how the author left out why her father disliked Bridget's grandmother so much. Why would he hide all those letters? Through the entire book no information was given on that topic.

At the end though, it made me smile because it finally felt that she was happy again. I just hope she won't be as reckless in the third book as she was in the first. I enjoyed reading about her this time and I'm curious to know what she's going to be like in the next book.

Carmen: It's hard enough on her that her father got married last summer and has a new family now, but she just can't deal with her mom having a new beau and so she sets out to destroy their relationship!


First off..


My god girl, PULL YOURSELF TOGETHER! Carmen was nothing but a little selfish brat that only cared for her own self happiness. I despised how she was acting towards her mother, I despised how she treated everyone, I just despised her!

Her mom was so happy about being with David, once Carmen saw that, the only thought that came to her head was, "NO, YOU ARE NOT ALLOWED TO BE HAPPY!" And she literally tries to sabotage their relationship, in which she succeeds. I was literally so close to throwing the book out in rain because of her.

If I do decide to read the third book, I do hope she's changed, because she's really starting to get on my nerves.


Lena: Last summer, Lena falls deeply in love with Kostos a handsome boy in Greece. When she returns home, she decides it's best to break up with him.

But this summer, she can't help but constantly think about him and want him, even though she broke up with him. Unfortunately, things start to fall apart at home and back in Greece.


I was really upset to read about Lena's summer. She was sad that she didn't have Kostos in her life anymore (even though she broke it off) and then a death in the family shook her even more. I felt really bad and I just wanted to hug her.

I felt like she was more interesting in the second book than in the first one. She just seemed dull in the first summer, and this time, I felt like I could see what she felt and thought. I did enjoy Lena's character this time around and I'm curious to know what her third summer will be like.

Tibby: She is off to a summer film program, trying to be someone she's not while also trying to forget about Bailey's death last summer. She is assigned to make a movie about anything and she chooses to do it about her mother, but learns that it wasn't the right decision. Instead, she makes a video about someone special to her.

I felt the same way about Tibby just as I did with Carmen. She was acting like a complete butt head to her family, friends, and even Brian, the guy that likes her. I was so upset with how she was treating everyone that cared for her, that sometimes I would just skip a few pages.

I was also upset at how she would treat her mom and the things she thought about her family sometimes. I also hated how she treated Brian. He was nothing but nice to her and she just didn't care. She had a "I hate the world attitude and no one cares about me," and to be frank, it annoyed me.


Overall, if I do decide to read the next book, I do hope the characters have a drastic change to their attitudes.

Feel free to leave a comment and tell me what you thought on the book if you've ever read it!


Happy reading!






1 comment :

  1. Aw, sorry that you didn't enjoy as much as you wanted :/ I read the first book in this series almost exactly a year ago, and the fact that I haven't picked up the sequel in so long shows that the first book didn't impress me too much, haha. It was kind of a light, fun read, but none of the characters or their stories really interested me enough to keep reading.
    Thanks for the great review :)

    ReplyDelete

Hi! Thank you so much for taking the time to stop by my blog and leave a comment! I always love reading your opinions so don't be shy! Stay Stylish & Bookish!