Pretty Little Liars (Book #1) by Sara Shepard | Review

Happy Friday! I'm so sorry I haven't gotten this review out sooner. I've been trying so hard on how to put this review together that I've literally spent a week trying to do write it. How is everyone gonna spend their weekend?  I'm hoping I'll be able to hit the pool and observe all the eye candy, if you ladies know what I mean ;)

But for now, enjoy my review on Sara Shepard's Pretty Little Liars!






Title: Pretty Little Liars
Author: Sara Shepard
Genre: YA, Romance, Thriller, Mystery
Publisher: HarperTeen
Publication Date: October 6, 2009
My rating: Two stars

Set in the fictional town of Rosewood, Pennsylvania, the series follows the lives of four girls: Aria Montgomery, Hanna Marin, Emily Fields, and Spencer Hastings, whose clique falls apart after the disappearance of their leader, Alison DiLaurentis.

One year later, the estranged friends are reunited as they begin receiving messages from a mysterious figure named "A", who threatens to expose their deepest secrets— including ones they thought only Alison knew.  At first, they think it's Alison herself, but after her body is found, the girls realize that someone else is planning on ruining their perfect lives.





                                                                          



Seeing as though I watch the tv show, I thought why not start reading the books and see if I could find out who 'A' was.




Personally, the writing was okay. The author overused so many words, it was distracting and quite annoying. This book really didn't intrigue me at all and make me want to keep turning the pages. It felt so unrealistic. Sixth and seventh graders smoking, drinking and wanting to flash some old dudes?

Is this seriously what people think a good book is and how teenagers should act now? All of the characters were stuck up, rich, snobby brats and it annoyed the frick out of me. Almost all the everyone smoked, there was theft from one of the characters, and the four girls, (even Hanna's mother!) were acting like sluts and sometimes were just plain out stupid and boring.


                                                                          



Aria: Aria used to be the weird girl of Rosewood, but after the disappearance of her best friend Alison, she left for Iceland for two years because of her father's work, and came back a new girl.  One night Aria is at a bar, and meets this guy Ezra, who she lies to about her age, making him think that she is a college student when in fact, she is going to be in his English class the next day at Rosewood Day.

After a crazy fun filled night with Ezra, the next day she sits down in English class and is surprised to find out that Ezra is her teacher, and vice versa. A few moments later, Aria receives her first message from "A" which read,

 "Maybe he fools around with students all of the time. A lot of teachers do. Just ask your dad. -A"


Even after she finds out that Ezra is her teacher, she still wants to try to make it work, but in the next few chapters, Ezra finds something surprising on her phone and that's when it goes spiraling down.

The only reason I liked to read about Aria's story was because of how hard she was trying to get Ezra's attention it had me cracking up and cringing at the same time. The author tried to portray her as smart, and mature, but to me, she basically screamed out to 'attention seeking brat.'

Spencer: Spencer is a very competitive, smart girl. She strives to be perfect at anything she does, and hates to be outdone, especially by her sister Melissa. Her relationship with her sister has been rocky for quite a few years, both of them trying to out-do each other, and Melissa's long term boyfriends always liking Spencer more than her.

Two of the things I didn't like about Spencer was her smoking and how she messed around with two of her sisters boyfriends and basically didn't care. The only time she did care was when she got caught, and then she thinks that if she says "opps, I'm sorry," her sister and parents will be happy with her again? Her smoking was just a big fat turn off for me. Sometimes, I wish I could reach into the book, grab the characters by their shoulders and and scream "WTF is wrong with you?!?" Spencer's first "A" message was,

"Spencer, Covet is an easy one. When someone covets something, they desire and lust after it. Usually it’s something they can’t have. You’ve always had that problem, though, haven’t you? —A"

Hannah: Before the disappearance of her best friend Allison, Hanna was the chubby, dork of the group. She hated being taunted by Allison for being overweight. But after Allison goes missing, Hanna became friends with Mona, lost some weight, and became popular over the summer. She and Mona also began to shoplift, and at some point in the book, she gets caught, but her Mother steps in and gets her out of trouble. At the police station, she receives her first text from 'A' which read,

      "Hey Hanna, Since prison food makes you fat, you know what Sean’s gonna say? Not it! —A"

I absolutely hated Hanna. She was snotty, dumb, disrespectful to other people and herself, and was just a total biatch. Since I watched the show before the book, I knew that the shoplifting part would be there, but my god, stealing a diamond necklace and earrings? That's one way to to have your job applications rejected.




Emily: Emily shy, timid girl from a conservative Christian family She's always been obedient to her parents and has tried to fit in. She's on the swimming team at Rosewood Day and so is her boyfriend Ben. One thing Emily has been having problems with is her sexuality. Back in seventh grade, she kissed her best friend Allison and loved it. But when the new girl moves into Allison's old house, she finds herself falling in love with her neighbors daughters Maya. Her first message from "A" read, 

                       " Hey Em! I've been replaced.You've found another friend to kiss! -A"

I enjoyed reading about Emily's character. She wasn't as bad as the other ones. Her parents kind of annoyed me by getting angry over the fact that she doesn't want to swim anymore, and how her parents didn't want her hanging around Maya or her family just because of their skin color.

The only problem I had with Emily is that she cheated on her boyfriend. I absolutely LOVED how Ben threw his drink on her and called her a dyke. Girls aren't the only ones that can do that ;)  Seems like the whole book revolves around lying, and cheating. *eye roll*

Overall, I would give this book two stars. I didn't like it, nor did I hate it, but I don't think I'll be reading the other eleven books. 


Happy reading!






Post a Comment

Thanks so much for stopping by!

Latest Instagrams